Walk into a Surprise
This coming weekend is T's 30th birthday. I had been wracking my mind trying to find something special for us to do in order to celebrate. I tried a stay over night in a yurt...too expensive. I tried a dinner train ride...sold out through December. We had recently been on vacation so I didn't want to do a quick road trip. T has also been traveling for work so I thought something close to home would be nice.
T really wanted a party. Together with T's mother and sisters we were able to surprise him. We rented a shelter at the park by our house. Normally we walk the dogs to the park, so we got one near the path that we normally walk. All of the shelters have charcoal grills, picnic tables and most have sand volleyball courts and horse shoes. T loves to play volleyball so this was a big part of the plan.
My job was to get T there without him finding out about the party. Since our trip to Pigeon Forge we decided to continue our hikes at home. E is only going to get heavier and we want to be able to hike with him without it hurting us. I thought this would be a perfect excuse to get him to the park, the only problem...T came down with the flu. This caused him to lay in bed all morning. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get him out of the house.
I started planting the seed of wanting to go on the hike on Friday after work. T seemed up to the challenge. Saturday I went to pick E up from my parents' house (he got to spend the night because we went to a Friday night wedding). Once I got back, I tried to have E take a nap but he wasn't having it. So while T slept I fed E and got him ready to go to the party. I woke T up and he was willing to go on the hike since I told him there was a new trail I wanted to try and I offered to drive to the park to cut off ten minutes of the hike.
Once we were all packed in the car, I was able to sneak a volleyball into the car before we left. I drove us to the park. We got to the turn in for our shelter and the sign said Travis B-day on it. He mentioned it and I just kept on talking and driving. We pulled around the bend and he was able to see his whole family and several of our friends. They started singing Happy Birthday and T was shocked.
We had a lot of fun. We had burgers, hot dogs and other picnic style sides. His family had all the food ready when we arrived. The kids played in the woods and the sand (volleyball court). There was even a game of ultimate frisbee.
Happy Birthday T!
T really wanted a party. Together with T's mother and sisters we were able to surprise him. We rented a shelter at the park by our house. Normally we walk the dogs to the park, so we got one near the path that we normally walk. All of the shelters have charcoal grills, picnic tables and most have sand volleyball courts and horse shoes. T loves to play volleyball so this was a big part of the plan.
My job was to get T there without him finding out about the party. Since our trip to Pigeon Forge we decided to continue our hikes at home. E is only going to get heavier and we want to be able to hike with him without it hurting us. I thought this would be a perfect excuse to get him to the park, the only problem...T came down with the flu. This caused him to lay in bed all morning. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get him out of the house.
I started planting the seed of wanting to go on the hike on Friday after work. T seemed up to the challenge. Saturday I went to pick E up from my parents' house (he got to spend the night because we went to a Friday night wedding). Once I got back, I tried to have E take a nap but he wasn't having it. So while T slept I fed E and got him ready to go to the party. I woke T up and he was willing to go on the hike since I told him there was a new trail I wanted to try and I offered to drive to the park to cut off ten minutes of the hike.
Once we were all packed in the car, I was able to sneak a volleyball into the car before we left. I drove us to the park. We got to the turn in for our shelter and the sign said Travis B-day on it. He mentioned it and I just kept on talking and driving. We pulled around the bend and he was able to see his whole family and several of our friends. They started singing Happy Birthday and T was shocked.
We had a lot of fun. We had burgers, hot dogs and other picnic style sides. His family had all the food ready when we arrived. The kids played in the woods and the sand (volleyball court). There was even a game of ultimate frisbee.
Happy Birthday T!

