Monday's Call

Last weekend E was a bit touchier than normal. He would easily cry when he didn't get something his way or was set down if he didn't choose to be. He also had a semi runny nose. It was only runny for several hours in the morning.

Monday all three of us got ready for the day as usual. I dropped E off at school and went to work. About 9am I got a call from the daycare, I always get a little nervous when I see the daycare pop up on my caller ID. They said I needed to come get E. He had bumps on his hands and feet and they were waiting for word from another child's pediatrician to confirm that they had hand, foot and mouth.

On my way to pick E up, I called my mom to see if she could come hang out with us so I could pick up working from home. She was more than willing to come down. I also called our pediatrician. They told me that there wasn't anything we could do but they would have the nurse give me a call back. They could give me ideas to keep him comfortable.

The nurse shortly after I got home with E. She suggested rotating Tylenol and Motrin. She also suggested a mix of Benadryl and something else that I could put on any mouth sores to keep him comfortable. This gave me some idea to why E had been fussier than normal over the weekend. The only time I needed to give E medicine was for bed. If not he would just cry and cry, while in the crib or being held and rocked. Over the next two nights he would wake in the middle of the night and cry. Monday night he woke at 2am and never went back to bed. Tuesday night he woke at 3pm and once T went in to hold him. E just wanted to sleep with someone.

I had to keep E out of daycare until his mouth sores were gone. Luckily my mom was able to care for him Tuesday during the day as well. She was ready to come down Wednesday as well, but luckily he was able to stay at daycare.

By the end of today, there were only 4 total babies between the two baby rooms. This round of hand, foot and mouth had been rather contagious. E managed not to catch hand, foot and mouth the last two times this went around through the daycare. Luckily for us he did not have it very long.

E had about 5 bumps on the bottom of one foot and 2 on the other. He had 2 on one of his knees, against what the name suggests, bumps can occur all over the body. He only had one mouth sore that I was able to see. Then only a handful of bumps between his 2 hands. This seems very mild compared to much of what I have read.  I am hoping that E will not catch this again. It seems to be similar to the flu that you can't catch the same version again, but since it is viral it can mutate.